Dobre i ciekawe zdjęcia

The Old Man of Storr, Scotland
2fgeVbM.png

Kurła, kiedyś to było...
Colorado, 1890, w domu górnika.
Gydjm6a.png

Poszukiwacze złota, Colorado, 1890
YeR998Y.png

Children of submarginal farmer. Pennington County, South Dakota. May 1936 Photograph by Arthur Rothstein During 1936, wild extremes of weather tested the mettle of even the hardiest pioneers in South Dakota. A few weeks before this photo, in February, the mercury had plummeted to almost 60 degrees below zero. A few weeks after this photo, a July heatwave pushed the mercury above 100 degrees for 21 days. Many local high temperature records set in the Dakotas during the sweltering summer of 1936 have never been broken. The damage from heat was compounded by wide-spread drought. Livestock that survived the bitter cold of February succumbed to the punishing heat in July. Crops failed and desert acreage expanded. Thousands of people died, and thousands of farms and ranches were pushed to ruin. President Roosevelt’s summer tour through the drought area during the campaign of 1936 brought national attention and prompted government action. Arthur Rothstein documented drought conditions for the US Resettlement Administration. This New Deal agency purchased submarginal farms and relocated families to better land. It also provided grants and loans to help those who stayed.
yXjujYQ.png

Wife and child of sharecropper. Washington County, Arkansas. 1935 Photograph by Arthur Rothstein In August of 1935, times were tough in rural Arkansas. The State had survived the flood of 1927 and the drought of 1930-31. Bank failures in 1929 led to lost savings and lost farms. Thousands of farmers were unemployed or reduced to tenant farming and sharecropping. The State’s two U.S. Senators at that time were Hattie Ophelia Wyatt Caraway and Joseph Robinson. One was the first woman elected to serve a full term in the Senate, and the other was Senate Majority Leader. Both were strong supporters of the New Deal. Arkansas received the benefit of many federal relief and reconstruction programs. More than 200,000 Arkansas men were hired by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The Works Progress Administration (WPA) employed rural folks who built bridges, dams, roads, schools, parks, swimming pools and other recreational facilities. Senator Caraway also ensured that New Deal agencies provided opportunities for women of her state. In 1935 Arkansas became the first southern state to fill all its WPA slots available to women.
R8fFXqt.png

Wow, tu sporo fot z wyprawy Shackletona na zaglowcu Endurance (niedawno zresztą odnalezionym)...

Micky Ward said:
'I got this far in my life and career not because I was the most gifted athlete, but primarily through stubbornness and tenacity. That's what separated me from other fighters - that refusal to give up. This may sound barbaric, but I would rather die in that ring than quit. I will give every ounce of energy I have in there, fighting until there is absolutely nothing left. Your body can do so much more than you think it can; people are just afraid to go to that dark, scary place where you don't know what will happen, or how much it will hurt. I've been there a few times, so I know. And I've never given up, never surrendered. For me, the physical anguish is nothing compared to what I would feel the next day, looking at myself in the mirror, knowing I had given less than complete effort. That to me, would be unbearable.'
PL9LxHb.png

Back