Rebney o planach na przyszłość i negocjacjach z Alvarezem i Lombardem

Marcin Jabłoński

Bellator
Bantamweight
Cohones
MMARocks
KOMU SIĘ CHCE TŁUMACZYĆ? Bo mi nie :-)

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): I heard a rumor. I know you are planning a light heavyweight tournament for your summer series. I heard some whispers that there might even be two tournaments during your summer series. Is there any truth to that?

Bjorn Rebney: Yeah, the rumors are based on the fact that we keep talking about it. We're still considering it. As a company, we've been banging out the idea with out partners at Spike and at Viacom trying to figure out how to do it. It's incumbent on me to keep loading the barrel of the gun so that we can put ourselves into a position where every time one of our champions enters the cage, he or she has their belt on the line. The way you do that is you increase the number of tournaments.

You can see that already for season six, we've got five tournaments going on simultaneously. If we can figure out a way to do it, I'd love to have two going on in the summer and another five in the fall before we break into the regular six that we're gonna be doing as part of our Spike partnership. There's no definitive final answer that we've arrived at, but we're definitely giving it though.

Brian Hemminger
(MMAmania.com): I want to ask about Spike a little bit. They've got a deal going on right now where they're counterprogramming a lot of the UFC shows. It seems like they're trying to entice the UFC to buy back its fight library. Now if that happens and Spike gets its wish in the next couple months, would Bellator be able to get on Spike for say, season seven?

Bjorn Rebney
: Yeah, that door would be open. It would obviously be something that our television partners at Spike would have to make a determination based on programming and the like. We work with them day in and day out. I know that Spike has been open to that idea that if there were a change in the direction of the UFC mindset and they were able to work out the pending library issues, that Bellator could conceptually jump over quicker. I think at the level now of the fighters that are stepping into our cage, the level of production, the way that the show flows and works now, the live experience and the number of sellouts that we're experiencing, the timing's right for that jump.

If it happens nine and a half months from now as it's currently scheduled, we're gonna blink and it's gonna be here. If circumstances were to change and it's gonna happen earlier, we're gonna be ready to rock and roll on literally a week's notice. We're excited with what's building out right now. Obviously, as a long time fan of the sport, Spike is nirvana. Spike is the crown jewel. If you think about television and mixed martial arts, I've been watching this stuff since the very first.

I can remember sitting at home in west Los Angeles and watching a WWE show come to an end and watching this new crazy show that the network was gonna launch called The Ultimate Fighter and I can remember sitting there watching. I can remember the fact that they never broke for commercial. I can remember the fact that it came out of the tail end of the wrestling show and it went right into this show about guys who were gonna fight in a cage in a house. I remember it like it was yesterday. They wrote the book.

They are the reason you and I are sitting on the phone today. There's a reason there's a general market crossover with MMA and there's a reason that mixed martial arts show are up on the cover pages of the sports section of USA Today. They built it. To be able to sit on the phone with you and say Bellator is moving to Spike is about as cool as it gets. It's like a six year old coming down Christmas morning and seeing a brand new red Schwinn bike underneath the Christmas tree.

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): You guys officially announced Eddie Alvarez versus Shinya Aoki this past week so I was wondering your thoughts on getting that fight, getting the deal done and getting it announced.

Bjorn Rebney: Yeah, it only took me three and a half years. (laughs) I felt pretty good about that. If you put in the time, I think if we billed that one out on an hourly basis, i was making like 5-6 dollars an hour for that one. I tried to live up to what I promised and Ed Alvarez asked me literally three and a half years ago, he said, "Can you give me a rematch?" and Ed's been so important to the growth of this company and he's been with us and a fantastic face of the organization along with the likes of other fighters that we've got under contract but man, Ed was the first big contract ever made and I promised I would get him the fight and based on Strikeforce coming out of the dynamic they were in and substantially changing their direction and no longer being engaged in Japan and no longer where they once were, Dream became more available to work with and that alliance didn't exist anymore.

I was able to talk to the people at Dream and put things together. Moreso than anything, I was happy to be able to honor the commitment to a guy who's as good of a guy as Ed Alvarez and get that fight done for him. I've got an amazing amount of respect for his courage and his confidence. He lost his title in dramatic fashion and boy, instead of looking for an easy fight back or a soft road to get back in the mix, Ed said, "I want to get the best you can get me," and I said, "Do you still want the Aoki fight? It's close," and he said, "Absolutely." There was never a moment's hesitation in that guy's voice so he's just a class act and a great fighter and a great dude. It should be an epic fight.

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): And do you think getting him this fight that he's been wanting for so long, Eddie's got a new management team as his contract's gonna run out in about eight months or so, do you think getting him this fight and making him happy could help you guys resign him?

Bjorn Rebney
: Well it could have one of two different impacts. It could help us resign him which would be great, or it could, coming off a win against one of the top lightweights in the world, it could very very dramatically increase his value in the marketplace and make it more difficult to sign him. But, to be honest, the guy's meant too much to our organization for me to look at it from a pure business perspective.

I look at it and say to myself, "You know what? If this overture on our part, getting him this big fight makes it easier to sign Ed and if it alternatively increases his value and makes it more difficult to sign Ed, that's great too". Ed's gonna do well. If he wins this fight, it's going to be a huge step for him, his career and his family. That actually makes me pleased.

Brian Hemminger
(MMAmania.com): Alexander Shlemenko came out with a video blog a couple days ago saying he was frustrated with the Hector Lombard situation and he doesn't think that the fight' seven gonna be made this spring. There was some talk that Lombard's contract ran out and you guys are in a negotiating period. I was wondering what your thoughts are on that whole situation and what's going on right now.

Bjorn Rebney
: Well, Hector remains our champion right now. We are in the midst of a pretty substantial negotiation relative to his future with the organization. I've said many times I think he's the best middleweight in mixed martial arts so it's not an easy negotiation by any stretch of the imagination. Alexander Shlemenko, who has earned the right to face our champion, has been prepping for that fight for over a year, has been to a certain extent caught in the crossfire and he's not the beneficiary of these negotiations.

We're in a state now where we've got to negotiate with Hector and potentially resign him. People forget, Hector Lombard and Ed Alvarez have been with this organization now for four years so you lose track of it because our initial distribution platform was ESPN Deportes and Fox Sports Net and it's been a long build up but Ed and Hector have been with us from the very start. You know, all good things come to an end at some point and four years is a very long time on any kind of agreement.

We've got the right to match on any deal. We're either gonna sign him before he goes out the to marketplace or he's going to go out to the marketplace and we're gonna have a determination as to whether we're gonna match or not match and we're gonna see where it ends up. I love the guy and he's an awesome talent. He's been nothing but a pure pleasure for me to work with. He's been a great guy for me to work with and he's done everything we've asked him to do and every time I've put him in a cage, he's knocked people silly. You can't really ask for more than that from a guy.

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): One of my last questions, you had a really nice appearance on MMA Uncensored Live the other night and the UFC's been putting a little bit of pressure on that show, telling their fighters they don't want them to be on the show and pressuring some media, like MMA Junkie was originally going to be a part of that show. Is that frustrating at all, that they don't want anyone to have anything to do with this Spike MMA news show?

Bjorn Rebney: It's a good question. I can tell you, I've been in the television business now for 25 years and it is a hyper-competitive business. I think the most competitive business is the business that goes on inside our cage when that door shuts, but the television and entertainment industry aren't very far behind. It doesn't surprise me that it is a competitive business and it doesn't surprise me that people approach it as a competitive business. None of that really kind of shocks me and it seems to be the way the industry works and it works that way in the sports arena and it also works that way in the drama arena.

Counterprogramming and positioning are just part of our industry. It's just part of what occurs in the entertainment domain. There's a lot of money on the line and there's advertisers at stake and it's competition so it doesn't really shock me. There's very little in the entertainment business that shocks me at this moment. Maybe I'm a little bit jaded because I've been around it a long time and I see a lot of things happen.

Brian Hemminger
(MMAmania.com): My last thing is, do you have anything you'd like to get out there about this upcoming sixth season, anything you'd like the fans to know before you make your return on March 9th?

Bjorn Rebney
: Just as a fan, my excitement level. To have the kinds of things locked and loaded that we do now, to be able to have a show kicking off on Friday night a 30 minute drive out of Chicago with Warren fighting Curran for hte world title and both of them are ranked in the top 10 at 145, Marlon Sandro stepping into the Bellator cage, one of the my favorite fighters that I've ever watched over the years in Japan.

You've got Daniel Straus making his comeback and the last time he was in the Bellator cage, he was ranked number seven in the world at 145. You've got Popo coming in riding this unbelievable wave of the most aggressive and powerful submissions I've seen in the last couple years at that weight and then to bounce out of that and have the heavyweight tournament championship rematch the next week and then see Pitbull get back into our cage the next week with a stacked 155 tournament and Askren versus Lima.

It's like event after event after event now has big fights on it. We wanted to kick off with a big, big bang. That's why we did Warren with Curran with our first event but it's just cool to see every event on that has fights that make you go, "Whooa! I don't want to miss that!" and that's the essence of building up a brand like this.

jajczarz, mówisz i masz:-)

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): Słyszałem plotkę. Wiem, że planujesz półciężkiej turnieju dla serii letnim. Słyszałem jakieś szepty, że może być nawet dwa turnieje podczas serii letnich. Czy istnieje prawda to?

Bjorn Rebney: Tak, pogłoski są oparte na fakcie, że my rozmawiamy o tym. Wciąż rozważa je. Jako firma byliśmy walić się pomysł z out partnerów na Spike oraz Viacom próbują dowiedzieć się, jak to zrobić. To spoczywa na mnie, aby utrzymać ładowania lufę pistoletu tak, że możemy postawić się w sytuacji, w której za każdym razem jeden z naszych mistrzów wchodzi do klatki, on lub ona ma swój pas na linii. Sposób możesz zrobić to zwiększyć liczbę turniejów.

Widać, że już do szóstego sezonu, mamy pięć turniejów dzieje się jednocześnie. Jeżeli uda nam się wymyślić jakiś sposób to zrobić, chciałabym mieć dwa dzieje się w lecie, a drugi pięć jesienią, zanim włamać się do regularnego sześciu że my będziemy robić w ramach naszego partnerstwa Spike. Nie ma ostatecznego ostateczna odpowiedź, że znalazłeś się na, ale jesteśmy zdecydowanie nadając jej jednak.

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): Chciałbym zapytać o Spike bitowym niewiele. Mają wiele się teraz dzieje, gdzie są one counterprogramming wiele pokazów UFC. Wydaje się, że próbują zwabić UFC odkupić swoją bibliotekę walki. Teraz, jeśli tak się stanie i Spike dostaje swoją wolę w ciągu najbliższych kilku miesięcy, to Bellator być w stanie uzyskać na Spike'a za, powiedzmy, sezon siedem?

Bjorn Rebney: Tak, to drzwi będą otwarte. Byłoby to oczywiście coś, że nasi partnerzy telewizyjni na Spike'a musiałby dokonać ustaleń w oparciu o programowaniu i tym podobne. Pracujemy z nimi dzień i obecnie dzień. Wiem, że Spike jest otwarty na ten pomysł, że gdyby nie było zmiany kierunku myślenia UFC i byli w stanie wypracować pozostałych kwestii bibliotecznych, że Bellator może koncepcyjnie przeskok szybciej. Myślę, że na poziomie teraz z bojowników że wchodzisz w naszej klatce, poziom produkcji, sposób, że serial płynie i działa teraz, doświadczenie żywego i liczby sellouts że mamy doświadczenia, ale termin jest odpowiedni dla że skakać.

Jeśli zdarza się dziewięć i pół miesiąca od teraz jak to jest obecnie planowane, będziemy migać i to będzie tutaj. Jeśli okoliczności miały zmienić i to się stanie wcześniej, będziemy gotowi na rock and roll on dosłownie za tydzień wypowiedzenia. Cieszymy się z tym co jest budowa się już teraz. Oczywiście, jak długi czas fan tego sportu, Spike jest nirwana. Spike jest klejnotem koronnym. Jeśli myślisz o telewizji i mieszanych sztuk walki, byłem oglądać te rzeczy od samego początku.

Pamiętam, siedząc w domu w zachodnim Los Angeles i oglądać show WWE dobiegł końca i oglądając ten nowy szalony pokazują, że sieć była zamierzam uruchomić nazwie Ultimate Fighter i pamiętam siedzi tam oglądać. Pamiętam, że nigdy nie złamał w celach komercyjnych. Pamiętam, że wyszło na szarym końcu pokazu wrestlingu i poszedł w prawo w tej wystawie o facetach, którzy zamierzam walczyć w klatce w domu. Pamiętam to jakby to było wczoraj. Pisali książki.

Są one powodem ty i ja siedzimy na telefon dziś. Nie bez powodu istnieje ogólne crossover rynek z MMA i nie ma powodu, że mieszanych sztuk pokaz sztuki są nawet na okładkach w sekcji sportowej USA Today. Zbudowali go. Aby móc siedzieć na telefonie z wami i powiedzieć Bellator przenosi się do Spike'a jest tak cool jak on. To tak jak sześć lat stary schodząc rano Boże Narodzenie i widząc nową czerwony rower Schwinn pod choinką.

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): Chłopaki oficjalnie ogłosił, Eddie Alvarez kontra Shinya Aoki w ubiegłym tygodniu tak zastanawiałem się swoimi przemyśleniami na uzyskanie tej walki, coraz transakcja zrobić i coraz to ogłoszone.

Bjorn Rebney: Tak, tylko wziął mnie trzy i pół roku. (Śmiech) Czułem się bardzo dobrze o tym. Jeśli umieścisz w czasie, myślę, że jeśli zapowiadane, że jeden na podstawie stawek godzinowych, robiłem tak jak 5-6 dolarów za godzinę do tego. Starałem się żyć z tym co obiecał i Ed Alvarez zapytał mnie, dosłownie trzy i pół roku temu, powiedział, "Czy możesz dać mi rewanż?" i Ed nie było tak ważne dla rozwoju firmy, a on był z nami i fantastyczną twarz organizacji wraz z takimi innymi zawodnikami, że mamy w ramach kontraktu, ale człowiekiem, Ed był pierwszy duży kontrakt w historii i obiecał, że dostanę go w walce i na podstawie Strikeforce wychodzi z dynamicznym byli i istotnej zmiany ich kierunku i nie są już zaangażowani w Japonii, a nie gdzie były kiedyś, Sen stał się bardziej dostępny do pracy i że sojusz didn 't istnieje już.

Udało mi się porozmawiać z ludźmi na sen i umieścić rzeczy razem. Moreso niż cokolwiek, byłem szczęśliwy móc uhonorować zaangażowanie faceta, który jest tak dobry z facetem jak Ed Alvarez i dostać że walka dla niego zrobić. Mam niesamowitą ilość szacunku dla jego odwagi i jego pewność siebie. Stracił tytuł w dramatyczny sposób i chłopca, zamiast szukać łatwej tyłu walki lub drogi miękkiej, aby uzyskać z powrotem w koszyku, Ed powiedział: "Chcę, aby uzyskać najlepsze można uzyskać mnie" i powiedziałem, " Czy nadal chcesz walkę Aoki? Jest blisko ", a on powiedział:" Absolutnie ". Nie było chwili wahania w ten facet głos tak, że to tylko akt klasa i wielki wojownik i wielki gość. Powinno być epicka walka.

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): A myślisz, że coraz mu tę walkę, że on już chce tak długo, Eddiego dostał nową ekipą kierowniczą jak jego kontrakt jest gonna zabrakło około ośmiu miesięcy lub tak, myślisz, że coraz mu tę walkę i uczynienie go szczęśliwym może pomóc chłopaki zrezygnować go?

Bjorn Rebney: Cóż to może mieć jeden z dwóch różnych oddziaływań. To może pomóc nam rezygnować go co byłoby świetnie, czy to może, spadając wygrać przeciwko jednemu z najpopularniejszych wagi lekkiej na świecie, może to bardzo, bardzo dramatycznie zwiększyć swoją wartość na rynku i utrudnić do podpisania go. Ale, szczerze mówiąc, facet myśli zbyt wiele do naszej organizacji mi spojrzeć na to z czysto biznesowego punktu widzenia.

Patrzę na niego i powiedzieć sobie: "Wiesz co? Jeżeli to uwertura z naszej strony, coraz mu tę wielką walkę ułatwia podpisać Ed i czy ewentualnie zwiększa swoją wartość i utrudnia do podpisania Ed, to świetnie zbyt ". Ed to zrobisz dobrze. Jeśli wygra tę walkę, to będzie to ogromny krok dla niego, jego kariera i jego rodziny. To rzeczywiście sprawia, że ​​zadowolony.

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): Alexander Shlemenko wyszedł z wideoblogu kilka dni temu mówiąc, że był sfrustrowany sytuacją Lombard Hectora i nie myśli, że walka "siedem zamierzam być wykonane wiosną tego roku. Było trochę rozmów, że umowa Lombarda zabrakło i chłopaki są w okresie negocjacji. Zastanawiałem się, jakie są twoje myśli są w tej całej sytuacji i co się dzieje teraz.

Bjorn Rebney: Cóż, Hector pozostaje naszym mistrzem już teraz. Jesteśmy w samym środku dość znacznej negocjacji w stosunku do swojej przyszłości z organizacją. Mówiłem wiele razy, myślę, że to najlepszy średniej w MMA więc nie jest to łatwe negocjacje żadnym odcinku wyobraźni. Alexander Shlemenko, który uzyskał prawo do stawiania czoła naszym mistrzem, został prepping do tej walki przez ponad rok, został do pewnego stopnia się w krzyżowy ogień, a on nie jest beneficjentem tych negocjacji.

Jesteśmy w stanie teraz gdzie mamy negocjować z Hectorem i potencjalnie zrezygnować go. Ludzie zapominają, Hector Lombard i Ed Alvarez był z tą organizacją teraz przez cztery lata, więc stracić, bo nasz początkowy platforma dystrybucji był ESPN Deportes i Fox Sports Net i to było długo budować, ale Ed i Hektor są z nami od samego początku. Wiesz, wszystkie dobre rzeczy dobiegła końca w pewnym momencie, a cztery lata to bardzo długi czas na wszelkiego rodzaju umowy.

Mamy prawo do równoważenia na każdej transakcji. Jesteśmy albo zamierzam podpisać go, zanim pójdzie się na Marketplace lub ma zamiar wyjść na rynek i będziemy musieli na ustalenie, czy my będziemy odpowiadać lub nie odpowiadać i zrobimy zobaczyć, gdzie kończy się. Uwielbiam tego gościa i on jest niesamowity talent. On był niczym innym jak czystą przyjemnością dla mnie pracować. On był świetnym facetem dla mnie do pracy i zrobił wszystko, co mamy poprosił go o zrobienie i za każdym razem mam umieścić go w klatce, on zapukał ludzie głupie. Naprawdę nie można prosić o więcej, niż z facetem.

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): Jeden z moich ostatnich pytań, trzeba było naprawdę fajny wygląd na MMA Uncensored żywo drugiej w nocy i UFC zostały oddanie trochę presji z tego serialu, opowiadając swoje myśliwce nie chcą ich się na wystawie i wywieranie presji niektórych mediów, takich jak MMA Junkie początkowo będzie częścią tego show. Czy to frustrujące w ogóle, że nie chcą aby ktokolwiek ma coś wspólnego z tym show MMA Spike prasowej?

Bjorn Rebney: To dobre pytanie. Mogę wam powiedzieć, byłem w biznesie telewizyjnym teraz 25 lat i jest hiper-konkurencyjny biznes. Myślę, że najbardziej konkurencyjna firma jest firma, która się dzieje w naszej klatce, gdy drzwi zamykają się, ale przemysł telewizyjny i rozrywki nie są zbyt daleko w tyle. Nie dziwi mnie, że jest konkurencyjna i nie dziwi mnie, że ludzie podchodzą go jako konkurencyjnej firmy. Nic z tego naprawdę rodzaju wstrząsy mnie i wydaje się być sposób funkcjonowania przemysłu i działa w ten sposób na arenie sportowej, a także działa w ten sposób na arenie teatralnej.

Counterprogramming i pozycjonowanie to tylko część naszej branży. To tylko część tego, co pojawia się w dziedzinie rozrywki. Nie ma dużo pieniędzy na linii i nie ma reklamodawców na stosie i to konkurencja tak naprawdę nie zaszokuje mnie. Jest bardzo mało w branży rozrywkowej, który szokuje mnie w tej chwili. Może jestem trochę zmęczeni, ponieważ byłem wokół niego długo i widzę wiele rzeczy zdarzyć.

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): Moja ostatnia rzeczą jest to, czy masz coś, co chciałbyś, aby wyjść na temat tego nadchodzącego sezonu szóstego, cokolwiek chcesz fani wiedzieć przed dokonaniem zwrotu na 9 marca?

Bjorn Rebney: Tylko jako fan, mój poziom podniecenia. Aby mieć wiele rzeczy unieruchomiona i obciążona, co robimy teraz, aby móc się pokaz Mecz rozpocznie się w piątek wieczorem na 30 minut jazdy w Chicago z Warrenem walki Curran na tytuł hte światowej i jak z nich są w rankingu top 10 na 145, Marlon Sandro wkraczającego w klatce Bellator, jeden z moich ulubionych zawodników, że kiedykolwiek widziałeś na przestrzeni lat w Japonii.

Masz Daniel Straus czyni jego powrót i ostatni raz był w klatce Bellator, był w rankingu liczby siedem na świecie na 145. Masz Popo najbliższych jazda tę niesamowitą falę najbardziej agresywnych i potężne zgłoszeń jakie widziałem w ciągu ostatnich kilku lat w tym masy, a następnie odbić się z tego i mieć wagi ciężkiej turnieju mistrzostw rewanż w przyszłym tygodniu i wtedy zobaczyć Pitbull wrócić do naszej klatki w przyszłym tygodniu ze skumulowanym 155 turnieju i Askren porównaniu Limie.

To jak wypadek po wypadku po turnieju teraz ma wielkie walki na jej temat. Chcieliśmy kick off z wielkim, wielkim wybuchu. Dlatego zrobiliśmy Warren z Curran z naszym pierwszym razie, ale to jest po prostu fajnie zobaczyć każde zdarzenie na które ma walk, które sprawiają, idziesz "Whooa! Nie chcę przegapić tego!" i to jest istotą budowania marki tak.

Ale ja se to przeczytałem po ang. :-) Z translatorem chciałem pomóc Cannibalowi.

Back